Associate Professor of Teacher Education
Lander University Greenwood, SC 29649
www.leevartanian.com, (864) 388-8433, email@example.com
- Ph.D., Urban Services (Urban Education/Curriculum & Instruction concentration), Old Dominion University, Spring 2004
- M.S. Ed., Early Childhood Education, Old Dominion University, Meredith Construction Scholarship,
- B.A. Social Work, Auburn University, 3.56 GPA, Cum Laude, Spring 1997
- Associate Professor of Teacher Education, Lander University, Greenwood, SC, 2006-present
- teach undergraduate/graduate courses using an interactive, facilitative approach
- direct Teaching Fellows program for Lander University
- supervise clinical students and student teachers
- oversee partnership between teacher education and arts faculty
- taught 4th grade students at an elementary school in Guatemala (June 28-August 12, 2008), in preparation to teach HP 112: International Issues in Education for Spring 2009 semester.
- organized and led a six-week study abroad trip to Guatemala (May 15-June 23, 2010) to explore Guatemalan culture through language immersion and service learning.
- led Asian Summer Study Tour to sister universities in South Korea and China (April-May, 2012)
- Teacher, Newsome Park Elementary School, Newport News, VA, 2003-2005
- taught a third grade class of students from a variety of social and cultural backgrounds
- facilitated learning through a constructivist, project-based approach
- instructed using math and music curriculum developed by the M.I.N.D. Institute (Irvine, CA)
- developed interactive websites to supplement subject areas and represent project discoveries
- Program Coordinator, ACTT Now Program, Lawrenceville, VA, 2000-2003
- co-wrote successfully funded $1.3 million ACTT Now grant funding proposal
- administered the ACTT Now internship program
- co-taught field-based master degree course
- co-lead evaluative site visit of the University of North Texas PT3 Program
- Vartanian, L. & Scates, A. (2011). New dance moves: Perspectives on integrating the arts into pre-service teacher training. Proceedings of the Seventh Annual Upstate Research Symposium, Spartanburg, SC, 105-107.
- Vartanian, L. (2011). What’s the difference? [Review of the book What’s the difference?]. Teaching Children Mathematics, 17(6), 382.
- Vartanian, L. (2010). Telling stories: A path for 21st century problem solving. Proceedings of the Sixth Annual Upstate Research Symposium, Spartanburg, SC, 105-107.
- Vartanian, L. (2013). Teach tweet repeat: Lending your digital voice to education advocacy. Presentation at the Upstate Teacher Cadet Conference, Limestone College, Gaffney, South Carolina.
- Vartanian, L. (2012). The story in your i’s: Using digital storytelling to enhance math instruction. Upstate Technology Conference, Greenville, South Carolina.
- Vartanian, L. (2012). What teaching in Guatemala taught me: Deepening cultural understandings and personal empathy through ecotourism. Fourth Annual Peace Studies Conference, Greenwood, South Carolina.
- Colbert, J. & Vartanian, L. (2011). The Lander University EYE program: Creating bridges to global understanding. Presentation at the 3rd Annual Peace Conference in Greenwood, SC, March 18, 2011.
- McKenzie, D., Colbert, J. & Vartanian, L. (2010). Institutionalizing assessment of experiential education. Presentation at the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges Annual Meeting in Louisville, KY, December 6, 2010.
- Murphy, M., Vartanian, L. (2010). Web 2.0 tools: A roundtable dialogue regarding the design, production and practical application of digital storytelling with students. Roundtable presentation at the Southeastern Regional Association of Teacher Educator’s Conference in Nashville, TN, October 28, 2010.
- Vartanian, L. (2010). A picture is worth a thousand word problems: Everyday problem-solving through digital storytelling. Presentation at the South Carolina Teachers of Mathematics Conference in Greenville, SC, October 21, 2010.
- Vartanian, L., Bright, D., Linke, L., Park, B., Waldrep, D. (2010). Fear not: Overcoming the invisible barrier for integrating the arts in teacher education. Presentation at the South Carolina Alliance for Arts Educators Conference in Columbia, SC, September 23, 2010.
- Vartanian, L. (2009). So, the other day I was…: Storytelling as a tool for NCTM process standard integration. Presentation at the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics Annual Meeting in Washington, DC, April 24, 2009.
- Vartanian, L. (2007). Training wheels: Integrating NCTM process standards through storytelling. Presentation at the South Carolina Council for Teachers of Mathematics Fall Conference in Greenville, SC, October 26, 2007
- Greenwood Artist’s Guild, March 2011.
- contributed a workshop on website design, creation, and publication for local artists.
- East End Elementary, February 2008.
- facilitated faculty workshop on integrating storytelling and math instruction.
National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM), 2006 – present
Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ACSD), 2010 – present
South Carolina Council of Teachers of Mathematics (SCCTM), 2006 – present
South Carolina Alliance of Arts Educators (SCAAE), 2008 – present
PROFESSIONAL LEADERSHIP ROLES:
Greenwood School District 50, Board of Trustees, Member representing District 9
Center for Educator Recruitment, Retention, and Advancement (CERRA), Board of Directors, 2011 –present
Center for Educator Recruitment, Retention, and Advancement (CERRA), Advisory Board, 2010 – 2011